Monday 4 March 2013

One year on.

On March the 1st it was the anniversary of us moving into the kalivi so I made a lemon cake with lemon curd filling which we had with coffee with the landlord.
We then spent most of the day picking up olive prunings and burning them.
We have been doing it for 2 months now and there is still a long way to go.
It is not too bad dragging the big branches,  it is the gleaning for little bits which is hard on your back and knees.
We had 3 huge bonfires and managed to clear quite a lot of land.

Bonfire



Last year I cleared a small bed at the top of the steps leading to the terrace and the landlord brought me some kind of grass with umbrella spoke leaves. I think it might get too big,  but at the moment it shares the bed with two geraniums and two osteospurmums and some freesias which are just about to flower. These are large flowered freesias and I don`t know what colour they will be. There is another large pot there which gets very hot and seems to be a place the lizard eating snakes like. They are harmless but make me jump.
I think I may add some gazanias to this bed when they have grown a bit more.
All along the terrace wall are small white freesias and I have added some geraniums and a lovely blue daisy which I think is called felicia amelloides.
I sowed seeds of marigolds there too but I think they would have been  better sown in autumn as they should be flowering now. A lot of annuals are perennial here so you are never sure what will show up.


                                                     freesias


                                                         felicia amelloides

No comments:

Post a Comment